Eğirdir, a district of Isparta Province, is rich in historical and natural assets. The district is well known for Eğirdir Lake, which changes its colour at all hours of the day and Can Island of which deed was submitted to Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK, who is the founder of the Turkish Republic by Eğirdir people. Turkish Armed Forces’ Mountain Commando School and the most important Bone Diseases Hospital in Türkiye are in the district. Eğirdir is also known for Sığla Forests, Kasnak Oak which is rarely seen in the world and its endemic Apollon Butterfly.


It is supposed that Eğirdir city was founded by the last leader of Lydia, Kroisos (560-547 BC.), and its first name was "Krozos". Internal castle of the city was constructed by the Lydians. It was named as Prostanna during Romans period. It is thought that the first Turkish settlement to the region was occurred a few years after 1071. Anatolia Seljuk Ruler, Kılıçaslan III conquered Eğirdir together with the surrounding cities in 1204. The Seljuks named the city as Cennetabad due to its natural beauties, and used it as a resort place. Eğirdir and its surroundings became under the rule of the Ottomans in 1391.

Later on, the region experienced the sovereignty of Mongol Empire and Karamanoğulları Principality, and was added to the territory of Ottoman State during the reign of Sultan Murad II in 1423. After Tanzimat Period (between 1839-1876 in Ottoman history), the region became a subdivision of Konya Province. After the foundation of Republic in Türkiye, Eğirdir has maintained its district status.


In respect of climate, the district is in a transition area between the Mediterranean and Central Anatolia Climates. It has a more temperate climate in comparison with the city centre, and receives rainfall during winter and spring months.