The first archaeology museum in İzmir was opened to the public in 1927 at Ayavukla (Gözlü) Church in Tepecik after the work collection activities of three years. The second archaeology museum was founded in 1951 at Culture Park.
A new museum was required due to excessive works brought from the neighbour ancient cities.
A new and modern museum was established on a 5000 m² area in Bahribaba Park in Konak and the museum was opened to the public on February 11th, 1984.
The museum was established to meet any kind of needs with its museum exhibition halls, laboratories, warehouses, photography-rooms, libraries, and conference halls. The number of monuments located in the museum building and garden is more than 1500.
In this three-floor museum, the exhibition is organised in sections.
Upper Floor Hall
The archaeological works of ancient cities such as Iasos, Çandarlı (Pitane), Bergama, Bayraklı (Former İzmir); ceramic findings made of cooked soil found in İasos dig in BC III. thousand of prehistoric period; Western Anatolia ceramics of Protogeometric and Geometric Period; Western Anatolia vases with black and red figures belonging to Archaic Period; hydrias of Hellenistic Period; various vessels, glass vases, bottles, masks, statues, Myrina (Aliağa) Eros statues are all exhibited in this hall. Gold, silver and precious stone ornaments, glass materials and coins of Archaic, Hellenistic, Rome and Byzantine Period and bronze Demetre ornaments, glass materials, coins and bronze Demetre statue are exhibited in Treasury Hall on this floor.
Marble works are being exhibited on the middle floor, which is the entrance floor of the museum. Big statues, busts, portraits and masks of the period between archaic times and Roman Times are also exhibited on this floor.