Florya is a settlement at the coast of the Marmara sea between Yesilköy and Kücükcekmece. It is known to be a small fisherman's haven. With Atatürk taking interest, Florya started to gain some importance and became a summer resort.
The pavilion, which was projected by architect Seyfi Arkan as per the request of the Istanbul municipality on 1935, was constructed as a summer house for Atatürk. And the same year, on 14 August, it was opened to usage.
During the months of June and July 1936, for quite a while the Great Leader lived in this pavilion. He used it for political and scientific meetings and entertained prominent guests such as the King of England Edward VIII and Madame Simpson.
The pavilion was used last time by Atatürk, on 28 May 1938. After his death, the pavilion used by the Republic's Presidents Ismet Inönü, Celal Bayar, Cemal Gürsel, Cevdet Sunay, Fahri Korutürk and Kenan Evren.
This building compound was transferred to The Office of the National Palaces which is connected to the Turkish Grand National Assembly by the Presidency on 16 September 1988. After the restoration it was converted to Atatürk Museum and a permanent photograph exhibition under the topic of “Atatürk in Istanbul” was formed. On the other hand, various publications are introduced and on sale in one section of the pavilion. The Aide's and the Secretariat buildings have been restored and converted to social facilities for the use of the Turkish Grand National Assembly. A new building was constructed in the previously unoccupied area between these two buildings to accommodate a cafeteria and a restaurant. The garden also was arranged to serve as an open air cafeteria.