Font -  Font +

Eskişehir Seyitgazi Museum

Eskişehir Seyitgazi Museum


Seyitgazi, county capital in the province of Eskişehir, is surrounded by the county of Mahmudiye and of Çifteler on the east, by the province of Kütahya on the west, by the province of Afyon on the south, and by the province of Eskişehir on the north. Its surface area is 1502 square metres and its altitude is approximately 1000 metres. The mountains of Türkmen and Yapıldak are important mountains of the county. The river of Seydisuyu, the most important branch of the river of Sakarya (Sangarius), consists of the rivulets coming from these mountains. County has a typical Continental Climate. According to the census of 1990, population of county capital is 3230, and total population is 24762. County has a subdistrict (Kırka), a borough (Doğançayır) and 46 villages. Agriculture and the cattlebreeding are the most significant income sources of Seyitgazi .The city is connected to Eskişehir by a 43km long road and to Afyon by a road of 97 km and to Eskişehir-Ankara highway by road of 26 km

Historical Backround

Historical background of Seyitgazi extends up to the years of 3500 B.C. It was a settlement plave in Hittite and Phrygian era. Later, in the eras of Roman and Byzantion, it became a known as "Nacolea". In the 8th century surrounding the town harsh struggles occured between the Arabian and the Byzantian armies and Seyyid Battal Ghazi became a martyr in one of these struggles (740) that took place in front of the fortress of Gazi Mesih. In Seljukid era, it is known firstly as a Turkmen village and after building of Seyyid Battal Ghazi's tomb it is called "Seyitgazi". In Ottoman era, town is an important accomodation place between Istanbul and Baghdad. At this period its importance increased and new additions were made to Külliye (group of buildings). Seyitgazi was made a subdistrict in 1892, and later first municipality organization was established in 1917. Seyitgazi, damaged seriously because of the Greek occupation forces during the War of Independence, was saved from the occupation in 1922 and became a county capital in Turkish Republic.

Seyyid Battal Ghazi

He is a popular hero, who lived at the end of the 7th century and first quarter of the 8th century. Seyyid Battal Ghazi, an Anatolian warrior, participated in surrounding of Istanbul and Anatolian campaigns of the Arabs, and rendered great service. He became a martyr in the war of Akrenion (Akrenions) occuring between the Arabs and the Byzantines (740). His grave is in a tomb constructed for himself in the hill of Üçler in Seyitgazi.
Seyyid Battal Ghazi Group of Buildings

The group of buildings (külliye) consists of a tomb and a mosque built on behalf of Seyyid Battal Ghazi in the beginnings of the XIIIth century, and historical buildings added to these tomb and mosque after. The group of buildings has traces of three civilizations. Tomb and mosque were constructed in the era of Anatolian Seljukids. Other departments, such as imarethane (kitchen for the distribution of food to the poor), medrese (school) and tekke (convent of dervishes), were built in the Ottoman Period. Besides the tombs of Ummuhan Hatun, Çoban Baba and Ayni Ana, there are also the tomb of Elenora, daughter of the king, and some special departments in the group of building.

Midas Monument (Yazılıkaya)

Located in the northeast of the antique city of Yazılıkaya. Because of the Phrygian scripture on the monument, it is called Yazılıkaya as well as being called "The Midas Monu-ment" because of the name Midas mentioned in the text. It was formed as a temple's façade on rock and build in dedication to Kybele, (the) only goddess in the Phyrigian religion, in 550 B.C. as a cult monument by imitating wood architecture. Its façade looks east.

Portress With Falcons

Located in the village of Burhaniye (Çukurca) of the township of Seyitgazi.Interior of the rock was built in the Phyrigian Era and later used with annexations in the Roman and Byzantine Eras. There are a lot of carved graves and corridors.
Bahşeyiş Monument

Located in Kümbet Valley in the village of Gökbahçe of the township of Seyitgazi. It is a Phrygian era rock monument inscibed on rock as a temple façade by imitating wood architecture. Even though it may be called as a "grave monument", a "cult monument" will be a more appropriate name for it. Dates back to the 5th century B.C.