Font -  Font +

Eskişehir Museums

It first started as a storage-museum in 1945 in Alaaddin Mosque with pieces collected from the region. Then it was moved to the complex of Kurşunlu Mosque in 1966 and to its present premises in the Akarbaşı section of the city in 1974. Its collection is displayed in chronological order in the three exhibition halls of the museum and its garden.

In the first hall of the museum animal and plant fossils from the archaic ages, and items which belong to the Neolithic, Chalcolithic, Old Bronze, Hittite and Phrygian Periods are displayed. The findings from the Demircihöyük tumulus excavations are also exhibited in this section. In the second hall the Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine Period items and coins from the antiquity and Islamic periods are shown. Findings from Kocakızlar Tumulus at district of Alpu and from the Pessinus excavations at the Ballıhisar Village of Sivrihisar District are displayed in separate groups.

The third hall is reserved for stone works and contains marble statuettes used as offerings from the Roman and Byzantine Periods, statues, tombs, Roman era floor mosaics from Şarhöyük (Dorylaeum) and findings of the Babadat excavations.

The open exhibition in the garden has marble statues, altar stones, sarcophagi, baked earth and millstone jars, and various architectural pieces. There are 4252 archaeological and 3901 ethnographic pieces, and 6437 coins totalling to an inventory of 14.590 items.

Atatürk and Culture Museum

The building which is located in the Arifiye section of the city was built in 1921 and housed the Court of Appeals. The building has two storeys including the ground floor. It is built of stone on the ground floor, with bearing brick walls upstairs.

The museum was organized to keep the relics from our great leader Atatürk who visited the building 16 times between the years 1920 - 1938 and it was opened to public in 1970. One section of the museum is reserved for Atatürk where his personal belongings and the gifts given to him during his visits are displayed in chronological order.

In the second and the third halls there are ethnographical items from the Topkapı Palace Museum and those collected from the region as well as photographs from Eskişehir visits of Atatürk.

This section also hosts a collection which shows the progress of meerschaum, which is characteristic to the city and which is also called white gold, from excavation to processing and final use.

Books about Atatürk are exhibited in the central hall.

Ottoman House Museum

The house which is located in Dede neighborhood of Odunpazarı section is a typical example of wood architecture of the 19th century.
The house which belongs to Halil İbrahim Efendi (Sipaahioğlu) who was a member of the first term of the Parliament is known as "the house of Yeşilefendi" and has an added signifance as Atatürk was hosted there.

The men's quarters (selamlık) section of the house was opened to public visits in 1984 following the restoration. The building, which is constructed in "Bağdadi" style of lathe and plaster, consists of a basement and a floor over the ground level. Wood workmanship on ceilings, doors and cupboard are extremely well done. The main room which has a hearth and a bay window is richer in decoration compared to the others. The museum is arranged to reflect domestic life of the 19th century and local ethnographic items are also displayed.

Yunus Emre Museum

The museum building which is located within the Yunus Emre Complex at the Yunus Emre Village (Sarıköy) of Mihalıççık District is built with cut stones. It has a porch entrance and arched windows. In the "L" shaped exhibition hall of the museum titles of privilege and bills from Yunus Emre Derviş Lodge, books on Yunus Emre are displayed, including the architectural elements from his original grave which are adorned with the best examples of the Seljuk period stone decorations.

Seyitgazi Museum

It is located at Seyitgazi District which is 42 km from Eskişehir. The museum is located within Seyit Battalgazi Complex. The complex displays characteristics of the Seljuk, Early Ottoman and Classical Ottoman Periods. Archaeological pieces are displayed in the museum in chronological order. Items of ethnographic character generally reflect the special feature of the locality. The open exhibition in the garden includes Roman column heads and bases, altar stones; friezes and balustrades from the Byzantine Period, and grave stones from the Seljuk Period.