Font -  Font +

Afyon Museum

As a result of the activities of Asar-ı Atika Muhipleri Cemiyeti (Association of Ancient Monuments) in the first years of the Republic, Gedik Ahmet Pasha School (Muslim theological school) (Taş Madrasa) was made a storage area where the old works are stored.

The teacher Süleyman Gönçer, the head of the association, was appointed as an officer to the school which was made an official museum warehouse in 1931. Mr. Süleyman, who is also the Head of Museology and Exhibition Branch of Community Centres, enriched the warehouse with the support of the official institutions and the Community Centre. The museum, which was turned to the Museum Directorate in 1933, was officially opened in the 10th year of our Republic and Mr. Süleyman was appointed as the head.

Afyon Museum, which served as a mixed museum from 1933 to 1970, was moved to its new building in 1971 where the Museum Directorate and Archaeology Museum is located.

Gedik Ahmet Pasha School, which was used as the warehouse of stone works having ethnographic characteristics since 1971, was opened to the public in 1995 as the Museum of Turkish Islamic Monuments as a result of the restoration and arrangement of the building between 1978 and 1994. However, the building was closed in 1996 and the monuments were moved to the warehouse of the Directorate as the extensive humidity, which damaged the monuments, could not be prevented. Exhibition and arrangements shall be made again.

The Archaeology Museum has a very rich collection. There are many monuments of Former Bronze, Hittite, Frig, Lydia, Hellenistic, Rome and Byzantine Ages in the museum. These monuments include a marble statue, city coins, findings of Kusura digging, statues and figurines of Hittite and goddess.

Bolvadin Museum

It is in the centre of Bolvadin which is located 60km east of Afyon. The building, which had been established as Municipal cinema and then used as Municipal Culture Centre Centre, was rearranged as Municipality Museum in 1987 with the decision of Bolvadin Municipality Council.

The archaeological monuments, which were collected in the garden of the Bolvadin Lycee by the Director of the lycee Mr. Muharrem Bayer under the control of the Afyon Museum Directorate, constituted the origin of the museum. Later, a very beautiful mixed museum was founded with the archaeological and ethnographic monuments collected around and with the monuments sent from Afyon Museum Directorate.

Moveable cultural works of the Former Bronze Age, Rome, Byzantine, Seljuk, Ottoman and Republic Period and ethnographic materials reflecting our traditions are on display in the garden and exhibition hall of the Municipality Museum of Bolvadin. In addition, it is possible to see in the museum the production and use of poppy specific to Bolvadin and the rush mat workmanship made of reed around Eber Lake and photograph materials.

The conference hall in the Municipality Museum of Bolvadin, capable to include 200 people, serves as an essential place where the cultural activities are celebrated.

Victory Museum of Commander-in-chief Historical National Park Directorate

It is located on a nice place across the "Victory Monument" in the centre of Afyonkarahisar and across Afyonkarahisar Castle. The building was established as a duplex by Saitoğlu Mehmet Sait Efendi before the foundation of the Republic in 1915-1920. The building has neo-classical characteristics with its general features. It is observed that the building has a typical Anatolian houses style (a big hall called middle courtyard, and beside it rooms that are opening to this hall) in terms of plan.

The building continued to serve as "Municipality Building of Afyon" until the foundation of today's Municipality Building in 1930. Later on, the building was allocated to the "Police Headquarters" upon the completion of the new municipality building.

The building was allocated to the Commander-in-chief Historical National Park Directorate as "Victory Museum" by the National Estate Directorate, and our Directorate owned the building on 11 September 1986.

Our Directorate moved to this building in 1992. The importance of this building, in which the decoration and restoration works are still being carried out, is that it belongs to a period (1919-1922) when a whole nation struggled for life and death and that Mustafa Kemal, the Commander-in-chief; İsmet İnönü, the Commander of Western Front; Fevzi Çakmak, the Chief of the General Staff; and Tevfik Bıyıklıoğlu, the Chief of Western Front Actions Office all stayed in this historical building and used here as headquarters upon the liberation of Afyonkarahisar from the occupation of the enemies on August 27th, 1922.

Dumlupınar Museum

It is located in the centre of Dumlupınar, at 59 km north - west of Afyonkarahisar. Its construction began in 1990 and was completed in 1996, and its official inauguration was held in Victory Week in 1997. The museum, which is located in the landscape area of Dumlupınar Monument, is a duplex.